Sunday, September 14, 2008

Getting Ready For The Puppy.

Well, last August we did it. We put a deposit down on a Schnoodle pup with 5 weeks to get ready for its arrival. I had my list of questions for the breeder so that I was prepared for its arrival at her new home.

Questions for the breeder:

What should I feed the pup and how often?
Normally the breeder will tell you what she has been feeding, how much, and how often. The breeder should also give you some of the food in case you did not get a chance to buy any. Use this food initially because the puppy is used to it and it shouldn't upset its tummy. Remember the trauma of going to a new environment is enough stress. You don't want to add to the agony of giving your puppy a different food that will upset its stomach.

What size crate should I buy?
I know there are people out there who say they would never crate an animal. But believe me it is not cruel and will save your possessions in the beginning and also protect your pet. When it comes to crates you have 2 choices wire or plastic. Definite advantages to both. With the wire crate you can get a divider to use when a puppy is small. I chose the plastic crate because the puppy cannot chew on the wire. I bought a Petmate crate for her adult size and placed a Playmate cooler with a couple of weights inside in the back of the crate to make it smaller. The thought is the smaller the crate is for a puppy, it will not eliminate in the crate. Here are some instructions on how to crate train a puppy/dog crate training

What size collar should I get?
The breeder told me that I did not need a collar or leash initially since the puppy would stay near me and can't get away. My thought was if the puppy gets used to the collar and leash in the beginning it won't be a hassle later. So I got 2 sizes just in case. My puppy was only 4 pounds when we got her so the smallest one I could find worked. The nylon adjustable breakaway collar is best and a 4 foot nylon leash is about all you need at first. The breakaway is important in case the collar gets caught on anything. But the best thing to remember is NEVER CRATE WITH A COLLAR ON.

What about vaccinations?
The breeder should always give you the pup's vaccination record with the worming info and dates, plus lot numbers of the vaccination. Remember to bring it with you on your first visit to the vet.

And one of the questions that I should have, but neglected to ask was:
What size or how much will she weigh when we pick her up?
Why is this important? Our puppy was less than 4 pounds when we got her at 8 weeks of age. One of the safety gates we had in the kitchen had too wide of a spacing so our pup could make it through the openings. A quick remedy was to attach a large piece of cardboard to the opposite side of the gate.

Additional things I did in preparation for the pup's arrival:
1. Bought chew toys and plushtoys (with squeakers)

2. Bought a Kong This will be a life and furniture saver for you. They come in various sizes, but sometimes it is better to get the next size up. Also, forget about buying the stuff for filling the Kongs. The dog's kibble and peanut butter works fine.

3. Bitter Apple Spray. You can buy this at Walmart or any pet supply store. I sprayed it on the surfaces the puppy would chew on, like the kitchen table legs. (That is another reason why you need the gates and the crate.. puppies chew on everything so make sure it has enough proper things to chew on!)

4. Anything you can find to remove urine smells (local pet stores have a lot of these) When your puppy has an accident, clean up the mess and spray this on that spot so they can no longer smell where they have gone. That is why it is also important to initially block off an area where they can run around under your supervision. (Just like having a toddler again!) I chose the kitchen because of the tiled floor (easier to clean up messes and there will be a few in the beginning). Puppies are known to find soft places, like rugs and carpets, to eliminate, but since their tiny bladders are like little babies, they can't hold it in too long and will eliminate when they have to.

5. Safety gates. Measure your doorways and get the appropriate gates. After about 1 year we finally took them down, but we do use one of them on our deck for her and when we finish the basement will probably use the other one down there to keep her out of the storage area.

6. Water and food bowls. Also, get a mat to place these on, it will be easier to clean up. I bought stainless steel bowls and they still look great after a year. Oh, and don't forget a measuring scoop for the food and an airtight food storage container if you choose to get one.

7. Any book about getting a puppy. It will give you loads of info on what to do in the beginning and what not to do.

8. Interview Veterinarians! Check them out well in advance of bringing your puppy home. Go to the offices and check to see how clean they are and how they treat their patients. How many doctors are available and how long does it take to get an appointment. Also, what do you do if there is an emergency. Hopefully, they will give you the name and phone number of an emergency pet hospital near you! I checked out 4 places before we decided on the one that was not necessarily the closest, but had 4 vets on staff and the supporting staff is very knowledgeable and kind. I scheduled my pup's visit for the Monday after we brought her home to get checked out.

Other things to think about?

Puppy proof your home! Just like you would do for a baby. Keep the door to the bathroom closed or at least put the seat down Check to see if you have any plants that can harm them. Keep small objects off the floor that they can eat or swallow. Keep wires and cords hidden if possible. If your pup is tall enough keep things off the coffee table like candy,especially chocolate! Always supervise and if you can't- crate!

Next time, I'll introduce you to our pup and how she spent her first few days in her new home!

Lara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog!